Super Hornet for Blue Angels

Area dedicata al mondo dell'aviazione reale. News e discussioni su aerei e nuove tecnologie
Rispondi
Phant
Capitano
Capitano
Contatta:

Super Hornet for Blue Angels

Messaggio da Phant » 4 gennaio 2016, 2:38

Flightglobal.com ha scritto:
USN moves to modify Super Hornet for Blue Angels role

The US Navy has started a process to replace the Blue Angels demonstration team’s aircraft with a squadron of Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornets.

Boeing will receive a contract to draw up the engineering plans needed to convert the single-seat Super Hornet into a configuration specific to the Blue Angels role, the navy said in a 3 December acquisition notice.

The engineering work will support engineering change proposal 6480, which is entitled, “Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron (Blue Angels) Super Hornet Conversion”, the acquisition document shows.

The Blue Angels squadron is composed of a mix of one-seat F/A-18As and Cs and two-seat F/A-18Bs and Ds. The F/A-18A/B Hornets replaced the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk as the Blue Angels aircraft in 1986, and recently have been showing their age. Structural panels escaped from two different F/A-18As in aerial demonstrations a week part in late May and early June.

Since 2010, the navy has been moving F/A-18C/Ds into the squadron, but now the service is considering moving the Super Hornet into the role.

To perform the Blue Angels role, the F/A-18E will likely need similar design changes that the navy has performed on the original Hornet fleet.

These included removing the fighter’s gun and missile launchers, installing flight auxiliary fuel pumps that can operate in sustained inverted manoeuvres and inserting an oil pump in the tail to emit blue smoke. Also, a spring is added to the control stick for better handling in formation and inverted flight.

Though sharing a common naming and design heritage as the classic Hornets, the F/A-18E would mark a significant change for the Blue Angels. The Super Hornet is 25% larger and has 40% more range than the F/A-18C/D, making the aircraft substantially larger.

A note on the Blue Angels’ official web site cites the Super Hornet’s extra heft as one reason why the older model is favoured for the public demonstration role.

“While the Super Hornet has more recent technology, the Hornet is more suitable to the needs of the current team due to its light weight and slick manoeuvrability,” the navy document says.
Bye
Phant
Immagine Immagine

Phant
Capitano
Capitano
Contatta:

Re: Super Hornet for Blue Angels

Messaggio da Phant » 29 agosto 2018, 1:07

Theaviationist.com ha scritto:
U.S. Navy Blue Angels to get Super Hornets by the end of 2021

After several seasons of speculation, official U.S. Navy documents have revealed the U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Team, The Blue Angels, will receive the larger, upgraded Boeing F/A-18E single seat and F/A-18F two-seat Super Hornet to replace their aging F/A-18C/D Hornets, by the end of 2021.

The news is exciting for several reasons. By the time the first full show season in the new Super Hornets (existing ones retrofitted into a Blue Angel aerial demonstration team configuration) arrives for the Blues , the team will have been in the existing version of the Hornet for 35 years. That’s a long time for a demonstration aircraft. Most current generation Blue Angel fans have never seen the team fly any other aircraft, so the upgrade to the Super Hornet adds an element of freshness and excitement to the team’s sensational display.

Prior to getting their current F/A-18 Hornets the Blue Angels flew the small, single-engine Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. While the Skyhawk had an impressive combat record with the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marines during the Vietnam conflict, the aircraft was quieter, smaller and more difficult to see during demonstrations. It was, however, a good choice for the team during the energy crisis of the late 1970s since the Skyhawk used less fuel.

But the A-4 Skyhawk lacked the visual and audible impact of its predecessor, the larger, smoky, twin-engine McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II flown by the team from 1969 until 1974. For a brief period both the Blue Angels and the USAF Thunderbirds flew the F-4 Phantom II, with the Thunderbirds operating the F-4E version. The Thunderbirds transitioned from their F-4E Phantom IIs in 1974 also in response to the energy crisis when they opted for the smaller T-38 Talon trainer. Today the Thunderbirds use the F-16 Fighting Falcon single engine aircraft in two different versions.

The upcoming change to Super Hornets means the Blue Angels remain America’s only twin-engine jet demonstration team. And, with the new, larger Super Hornets and their over 4-foot wider wingspan than the previous Hornet, the visual impact of the new demonstration routine will surely be striking.

The Blues will take delivery of the Super Hornets in late 2021 in time to work-up for the following airshow season. The aircraft to be flown by the Blue Angels will be fleet aircraft modified for airshow demonstration with biodegradable colored smoke injectors, fuel flow modifications to facilitate extended inverted flight and the addition of 7-pounds of forward hydraulic force on the control stick when maintaining level flight to improve the handling of the aircraft in turbulent, close formation flying. The aircraft are expected to maintain the current blue and yellow paint scheme that contrasts well against afternoon skies when the Blues fly most of their flight demos.

Some aviation photographers suggest the Blue Angels are easier to photograph than their USAF counterparts, the Thunderbirds, because the larger Blue Angel F/A-18s with their darker paint schemes contrast better against late afternoon airshow lighting conditions allowing modern DSLR autofocus systems to acquire the aircraft more easily in flight.

The Blue Angels will receive nine F/A-18E single seat and two F/A-18F two-seat aircraft for the team. The Department of Defense procurement order for the total of eleven aircraft indicates a program conversion cost for the aircraft to demonstration condition of $17,002,107.00 USD. Approximately 3 million spectators see the U.S. Navy Blue Angels perform during a typical airshow season of about 70 flight demonstrations at 30-35 separate locations around the U.S. and the world. That means if the Blue Angels use the new F/A-18E and F Super Hornets for the next 30 years potentially 90,000,000 viewers, many of them repeat fans, will see the Blues perform.

Flight Demonstration teams like the Blue Angels are critical recruiting and public affairs tools for the U.S. military. Many military aviators trace at least part of their career choice to inspiration from early exposure to one of the military demo teams. With the current pilot shortage in the U.S. military the demonstration team’s mission is more important than perhaps any phase in recent history.

Immagine

Bye
Phant
Immagine Immagine

Phant
Capitano
Capitano
Contatta:

Messaggio da Phant » 6 maggio 2020, 20:47

Theaviationist.com ha scritto:
First shots of the new F/A-18E Super Hornet of the Blue Angels

As most of readers already know, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels are about to transition from the team’s current Boeing F/A-18C and D model aircraft to the larger and more capable Boeing F/A-18E and F Super Hornets. The plan, outlined in 2018, was to perform the last season (or what remains of it considered the airshow cancellations) with the existing “Legacy” Hornet and fly the new aircraft during the 2021 show season.

The Blue Angels should receive 18 Super Hornets, including two F/A-18F two-seat jets. Aircraft belong to the early Low-Rate Initial Production (LRIP) runs, meaning they are among the oldest Super Hornets in the fleet. In fact, it is the practice of the Blue Angels (and other display teams around the world) to adopt and refurbish high-flight time aircraft for use in their team to keep the newest aircraft in frontline service. For instance, as reported, one of the two single-seat F/A-18E Super Hornets used in the flying sequences of “Top Gun: Maverick”, bureau number 165667, a Boeing F/A-18E-53-MC Lot 22 Super Hornet from the Low-Rate Initial Production run 2 (LRIP 2) was among the first aircraft being converted to the Blue Angels configuration. In fact, along with the iconic blue and yellow paint scheme, the aircraft destined to the Blue Angels need a significant reconfiguration: work includes the removal of the M61A2 cannon and the installation of the smoke generation systems.

The aircraft depicted in the photos is believed to be BuNo 165536, the first of the two Top Gun’s “hero jets” to be delivered to Jacksonville for the modifications. It has not been given a team’s tail number.

While the new aircraft are being prepared for next year’s season, the U.S. Navy’s Flight Demonstration team continues to take part in America Strong flyovers (alongside the U.S. Air Force’s Thunderbirds) across the U.S. with the F/A-18C.

For those who don’t remember the differences between the Legacy and the Super Hornet, here’s an excerpt from a past article we published here at The Aviationist:

As most readers know, the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet is significantly different from the aircraft many now refer to as the “Legacy Hornet”. While the Navy has transitioned away from the older versions of the Hornet to the new Super Hornet, the U.S. Marine Corps (and some residual USN units) still fly a significant number of F/A-18C Hornets.

According to the official Blue Angel page, “The Super Hornet is 25% larger, can fly 40% further, remain on station 80% longer and carry more weapons than its predecessors. The Super Hornet F/A-18 E/F models have deployed with battle groups since 2001.”

More specifically, the new F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet has a wingspan that is 4’ 3.6” wider than a legacy Hornet- over four-feet more wingspan. The Super Hornet is also 4’ 3” longer than the Hornet and sits nearly one-foot higher at the top of its twin tails. These larger dimensions may make the new Blue Angel Super Hornets even easier to see and photograph at demonstrations.

Immagine

Bye
Phant
Immagine Immagine

Phant
Capitano
Capitano
Contatta:

Messaggio da Phant » 11 giugno 2020, 4:39

Aviation-report.com ha scritto:
Boeing consegna il primo F-18 Super Hornet di test ai Blue Angels

Boeing ha consegnato il primo velivolo di prova F-18 Super Hornet per la pattuglia acrobatica Blue Angels della Marina statunitense. L’aeromobile non verniciato entra ora nella fase di test di volo e valutazione presso la stazione aerea navale di Patuxent River nel Maryland. Boeing prevede di consegnare un totale di 11 aerei per il gruppo di volo acrobatico nel 2020.

“Il Super Hornet è una rappresentazione iconica dell’eccellenza nel settore dell’aviazione navale“, ha affermato l’Ammiraglio (ret.) Pat Walsh, vice presidente della US Navy & Marine Corps Services per Boeing. Walsh volò con i Blue Angels dal 1985 al 1987 come Left Wingman (#3) e Slot Pilot (#4). “Mentre Boeing continua a supportare la flotta operativa di Super Hornets della Marina, siamo entusiasti di vedere questa piattaforma entrare in una fase critica per unirsi al team.”

Boeing converte sia gli F/A-18 legacy Hornet che gli F-18 Super Hornet per i Blue Angels presso lo stabilimento dell’azienda a Jacksonville, in Florida. Le principali modifiche includono l’aggiunta di un serbatoio dell’olio per il sistema di generazione di fumo, i sistemi di alimentazione che consentono all’aeromobile di volare invertito per lunghi periodi di tempo, apparecchiature di navigazione compatibili con gli apparati e le radio assistenze civili, telecamere e regolazioni per il baricentro dell’aeromobile.

Nel 2018, Boeing ha ricevuto il contratto a supporto della conversione di undici velivoli Super Hornet F/A-18E/F per il team dei Blue Angels. L’ordine di consegna era per la documentazione e i kit di retrofit per convertire nove aeromobili F/A-18E (monoposto) e due aeromobili F/A-18F (biposto) in una configurazione tipica dei Blue Angels.

I Blue Angels sono lo squadrone dimostrativo di volo della Marina statunitense, con piloti ed aviatori della Marina e dei Marines. La squadra dei Blue Angels è stata costituita nel 1946, rendendola la seconda più antica squadra acrobatica al mondo, dopo la pattuglia francese Patrouille de France nata nel 1931.

I Blue Angels hanno utilizzato una grande varietà di aeromobili sin dalla loro fondazione, tra i quali gli F-4J Phantom II e gli A-4F Skyhawk, e hanno iniziato a volare con le varianti F/A-18 nel 1986. Dal 2010, lo squadrone vola con gli F/A-18C-D e ora sta iniziando un aggiornamento al Super Hornet F/A-18 E/F. Ad oggi la Boeing ha consegnato 23 aerei F-18 Hornet ai Blue Angels.

Il Blue Angels team si sta anche procurando un C-130J Super Hercules (ex Royal Air Force britannica) da trasporto tattico in sostituzione del mitico Lockheed C-130T “Fat Albert”. L’aeromobile è gestito dallo US Marine Corps (USMC) e viene utilizzato per la logistica, il trasporto di pezzi di ricambio, attrezzature e per trasportare il personale di supporto tra gli air show.

Il C-130T Fat Albert ha servito i Blue Angels onorevolmente negli ultimi 17 anni ed ha volato più di 30.000 ore a sostegno della pattuglia acrobatica e ha rappresentato anche il Corpo dei Marine degli Stati Uniti per milioni di fan. Il velivolo, BUNO 164763, era stato preso in carico dai Blue Angels nel 2002 ed è stato l’ultimo C-130 a condurre un decollo assistito dai razzi JATO al quale deve la sua fama.

Immagine

Bye
Phant
Immagine Immagine

Phant
Capitano
Capitano
Contatta:

Messaggio da Phant » 6 novembre 2020, 15:14

Aviation-report.com ha scritto:
La pattuglia acrobatica della Marina USA, i Blue Angels, ha effettuato il volo finale con il velivolo F-18 Hornet

Lo squadrone dimostrativo di volo della US Navy, i Blue Angels, ha effettuato ieri, 4 novembre 2020, il volo finale sugli F/A-18 A/B/C/D “legacy” Hornet. Il volo finale dei Legacy Hornets indica il passaggio ufficiale dei Blue Angels alla piattaforma F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

“Siamo incredibilmente onorati di avere l’opportunità di salutare quei team che hanno volato, mantenuto e supportato questa piattaforma per oltre tre decenni di servizio“, ha affermato il Cmdr. Brian Kesselring, comandante degli US Navy Blue Angels. “Apprezziamo profondamente l’esperienza e la conoscenza operativa che i Blue Angels, passati e presenti, hanno apportato al team e non vediamo l’ora di migliorare le nostre operazioni durante la transizione completa sul Super Hornet“.

La stagione dello spettacolo 2020 ha segnato la fine della vita utile del Hornet che il team ha utilizzato per 34 anni. La stagione degli airshow 2021 sarà la prima a vedere i Blue Angels sulla piattaforma Super Hornet e sarà anche la stagione del 75° anniversario della pattuglia acrobatica dei Blue Angles.

“Indubbiamente, il 2020 ha presentato alla squadra sfide senza precedenti. Detto questo, la natura unica di quest’anno ha anche permesso al nostro team di approfondire la nostra interazione con i team del passato, in particolare quelli che sono passati a nuovi velivoli durante il loro mandato.”, ha detto Kesselring. “Questo impegno ci ha aiutato a gettare le basi per una transizione sicura ed efficace per i piloti, il supporto e il personale di manutenzione del nostro team, oltre a consentirci di affrontare l’elevato ritmo operativo della tanto attesa stagione di spettacoli aerei del 2021 e del 75° anniversario del team.” Il volo finale decollato ed atterrato alla Naval Air Station (NAS) di Pensacola ha avuto una durata di circa 30 minuti ed è stato visibile in tutta l’area di Pensacola.

I Blue Angels inizieranno il loro programma di allenamento invernale sulla NAS Pensacola a partire dal 16 novembre prossimo e tornerà alle sue strutture di addestramento invernale a El Centro, California, a gennaio 2021. La formazione continuerà fino ad aprile nell’addestramento in preparazione della stagione delle manifestazioni aeree del 2021.

La transizione dei Blue Angels sul Super Hornets

Nel 2018, Boeing aveva ricevuto il contratto a supporto della conversione dei primi undici velivoli Super Hornet F/A-18E/F per il team dei Blue Angels. L’ordine di consegna era per la documentazione e i kit di retrofit per convertire nove aeromobili F/A-18E (monoposto) e due aeromobili F/A-18F (biposto) nella configurazione tipica dei Blue Angels.

Il primo dei 18 F/A-18E Super Hornet destinato alla pattuglia acrobatica dei Blue Angels è atterrato alla Naval Air Station Pensacola, in Florida, il 27 luglio 2020, dopo essere stato consegnato dalla Boeing a giugno 2020, inaugurando una nuova era per il Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron Blue Angels che prenderanno l’eredità dal F/A-18 Hornet (legacy) che entusiasma il pubblico da 35 anni. Questa transizione è stata supportata fin dalle prime fasi dal NAVSUP Weapon Systems Support. La Marina USA aveva preso la decisione di spostare i Blue Angels sul Super Hornet nel 2018.

Gli aerei che i Blue Angels riceveranno sono gli aerei della flotta di produzione iniziale trasferiti da alcuni squadroni operativi della US Navy. L’aereo viene modificato e aggiornato agli standard previsti per i Blue Angels presso la struttura a Cecil Field della Boeing Company vicino a Jacksonville, in Florida, prima del trasferimento definitivo al team dimostrativo della Marina USA. Le modifiche includono l’installazione del sistema di generazione del fumo, apparecchiature di navigazione compatibili con gli apparati civili e le telecamere.

I Blue Angels riceveranno tutti i Super Hornet entro la fine di quest’anno, dopo 35 anni di utilizzo del F-18 Hornet con il piano, come già detto, che la squadra sarà pronta ad esibirsi nel 2021 per il 75° anniversario della costituzione del team acrobatico della Marina USA. I Super Hornet più grandi, più rumorosi, più potenti e più manovrabili porteranno nuovi elementi alla già entusiasmante performance dei Blue Angels.

I Blue Angels della US Navy

I Blue Angels sono lo squadrone dimostrativo di volo della Marina statunitense, con piloti ed aviatori della Marina e dei Marines. La squadra dei Blue Angels è stata costituita nel 1946, rendendola la seconda più antica squadra acrobatica al mondo, dopo la pattuglia francese Patrouille de France nata nel 1931.

I Blue Angels hanno utilizzato una grande varietà di aeromobili sin dalla loro fondazione, tra i quali gli F-4J Phantom II e gli A-4F Skyhawk, e hanno iniziato a volare con le varianti F/A-18 nel 1986. Dal 2010, lo squadrone vola con gli F/A-18C-D e ora sta iniziando un aggiornamento al Super Hornet F/A-18 E/F. Ad oggi la Boeing ha consegnato 23 aerei F-18 Hornet ai Blue Angels.

Bye
Phant
Immagine Immagine

Phant
Capitano
Capitano
Contatta:

Messaggio da Phant » 25 gennaio 2021, 4:35

Bye
Phant
Immagine Immagine